The generous support of JDRF’s corporate partners and their employees helps make the JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes one of the most successful fundraising events in the world!
The Walk to Cure Diabetes is JDRF’s flagship fundraising event. The Walk is truly an internation effort, raising $86 milllion last year at more than 200 sites in the United States and dozens more in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Europe.
Each year, more than 900,000 people participate in the JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes, including emplyees from more than 5,000 international, national, and local companies. Walkers raise funds by asking friends, relatives, and co-workers to donate to their fundraising efforts on behalf of JDRF.
1. Set your goals
- Goals should be set company-wide and broken down on a team basis. You will use these numbers as a marker to measure your success.
- Identify a Company Coordinator. This could be YOU!
- Discuss your team plan and timeline with JDRF staff.
- Set a goal for walkers! How many walkers should you expect to have? The average is 20-50 percent of employee base. Include family members, friends and neighbors.
- Set a fundraising goal for the amount you would like to raise. On average, each JDRF walker raises $100.
EX: Number of employees ___________
x 20%-50% participation ___________
x $100 average for each walker ___________
Total = Fundraising Goal! $ ___________
2. Recruit Team Captains
- Recruit one Team Captain for every 10 people.
- Send recruitment memo’s to department heads
- Have employees interested in serving as Team Captains attend the JDRF Team Captain Kick-Off event.
- Make sure all team members are registered at walk.jdrf.org.
3. Recruit Walkers
- Send a memo to employees promoting the JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes.
- Announce and hold an internal Kick-Off for all employees. We can arrange for our staff or volunteer to talk about T1D, JDRF’s mission impact, and the Walk to Cure Diabetes.
- Emphasize the fundraising goal of $100 per walker in all communications
- Ensure that all employees register online.
- Remember, the more walker who participate and fundraise, the more money you will raise.
- Coach your team members on how to raise $100 in 10 days. It’s easy! Ask 10 people for $10! Start by putting in your own $10.
- Encourage walkers to raise money by using online fundraising tools! When you register at walk.jdrf.org, you can create your own personal fundraising page that can be emailed to friends and family. The average online donation is general DOUBLE the amount received in cash or checks!
- You can also fundraise through Facebook!
5. Walk day and beyond
- The last memo has been sent! You’ve met your goal! Now it’s time to have fun! JDRF’s Walks are family-friendly, are held at great locations, and feature plenty of entertainment, food, and activities.
- Remember to say “Thank You” to everyone who supported you!
If you are interested in having your company start a team, contact Sam Sacks, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.